GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT OUR RIDES:
Northeast Florida offers many opportunities for both on and off road cycling. We organize about 20 rides a week with a variety of distances and paces which are listed on our Event/Ride calendar. In addition we list many rides hosted by our supporting local bike shops. On the calendar our club-sponsored rides can be identified by the phrase in the description: THIS RIDE COUNTS FOR POINTS AND MILEAGE.
Except for our two yearly signature rides, Tour de Forts classic and Endless Summer Watermelon Ride, our rides are free for members and do not require pre-registration. We welcome non-members to join our rides to try us out for up to three rides. We hope they enjoy the experience and become members.
Our Club rules for riders are pretty straightforward. Arrive early enough to set up your bike, sign the ride waiver and listen to the mandatory safety briefing given 10 minutes before the ride. Our rides leave on time and don’t wait for last minute arrivals.
As a participant on one our rides you will be expected to adhere to the following:
· IN CASE OF SIGNIFICANT INJURY, ATTEND TO DOWNED RIDER AND CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY.
· HELMETS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL RIDERS.
· BICYCLES MUST HAVE BRAKES IN GOOD WORKING CONDITION.
· RIDE PREDICTABLY AND COMMUNICATE YOUR INTENTIONS.
· CALL OUT HAZARDS AND DANGERS TO OTHER CYCLISTS.
· PASS OTHER CYCLISTS ON THE LEFT AND CALL OUT “ON YOUR LEFT.”
· OBEY ALL TRAFFIC SIGNALS INCLUDING STOPS SIGNS AND RED LIGHTS.
· SIGNAL TURNS AND STOPS WITH FLORIDA-APPROVED HAND SIGNALS.
· DO NOT OVERLAP WHEELS (KEEP FEET BETWEEN BIKES, NOT INCHES).
· NO EARBUDS, HEADPHONES OR USING PHONES WHILE CYCLING..
· DO NOT USE AEROBARS WHILE RIDING IN A PACELINE.
Anyone riding on a NFBC sponsored ride must sign a ride sheet at the beginning of the ride, which includes a Waiver of Liability – NO EXCEPTIONS!
A minor must have parental or legal guardian permission to participate in an NFBC sponsored ride. The parent or guardian must accompany minors age 15 or below on the ride. A separate Minor Waiver of Liabilityis provided for this purpose, and must be signed and presented to the ride leader before the start of the ride – NO EXCEPTIONS!
Any rider refusing to sign the wavier may not participate in an NFBC ride.
Photograph and Video Disclaimer
A, B, C and S designate the intensity of the ride and suggest a typical pace the group will maintain on level roads with no wind. Rides often split off into several subgroups depending upon the pace.
A = 18-21 MPH B = 14-17 MPH C = up to 14 MPH
S = Social Ride. The emphasis is on the social aspect of the club, they are no-drop rides and the pace will be determined by the group at the start of the ride.
If you are new to NFBC rides, we suggest that you start with a pace and distance less than you think you can maintain. You can always move up to a faster pace and/or longer distance on your next ride.
Blast emails to members are generally sent out for the Sunday Club-wide rides and special event rides. To make sure you receive emails about the rides, log in to your NFBC account, go Profile> Personal Info>Contact info and check that your email address is listed correctly and that the box is checked, allowing you to receive Club emails.
Last minute changes to rides such as cancellation or delay for weather will be posted by the ride leaders on the Last Minute Ride Schedule Forum (insert link).
To join the Last Minute Ride Change Notification Forum:
• Log on to the web site and click Profile.
• Under Personal Info, Click on Contact Info. At the bottom, under Other Contacts, ensure that your email address is correct.
Click save if changes were made, or cancel if none were made.
• Under Forums, click on Forum General Preferences.
Under Message Delivery, ensure that there is a check mark beside Send Email.
Click save if changes were made, or cancel, if none were made.
• Under Forums, click on Forum Memberships.
Click on Join on the Last Minute Ride Schedule Changes line.
Message Delivery should switch to Send Immediate Emails and it will list your email address.
GENERAL RIDE POLICIES
NFBC rides are group rides and drop rides are strongly discouraged. It is the policy of NFBC that no one ride alone. No route/distance will be considered an official Club ride if it is begun by a solo rider. Should a rider drop back from the group, the Ride Leader should consider safety a major criterion and make an effort to prevent a rider from completing the ride alone.
Photograph and Video Policy
Rides will have a
- Fixed start time
- Fixed start location unless announced via Club social media (Club email or Facebook page or sriders group). Any last minute change in start location or time due to weather, etc. will be announced via Last Minute Ride Schedule Changes Forum by Ride Leader.
- Fixed distance(s) and route(s). No open-ended distance rides allowed. Ride leader may specify an alternate route/distance on the day of the ride if alternate previously approved by Ride Director and/or posted on website in Ride maps. Ride Leader should obtain general consensus of riders before altering a previously announced route/distance.
- Specified pace groups. In so far as possible, it is the responsibility of the Ride Leader to insure that all advertised pace groups are available on the day of the ride.
- Ride Leader who may appoint Assistant Ride Leaders for various pace groups. If so appointed, the Assistant Ride Leaders should be credited on the Ride Waiver.